The Academy's History

In 1764 the General Academy of Painting, Sculpture, Copperplate Engraving and Architecture was founded by order of the Elector, Friedrich Christian.
This was the successor institution to the first Drawing and Painting School which had been established in 1680. Numerous well-known artists taught here, including Canaletto, Giovanni Casanova, Caspar David Friedrich and Gottfried Semper, ensuring that the Academy enjoyed international recognition. The teaching of Oskar Kokoschka and Otto Dix established a long-lasting painting tradition in Dresden.
In 1950 the Dresden Academy of Fine Arts was merged with the State Academy of Applied Arts, the successor of the Royal Saxon School of Applied Arts which had been founded in 1875/76.

  • Anatomiesaal
  • Brühlsche Treppe
  • 1945
  • Lehrmittelraum Kunstgewerbeakademie
  • Eingang Kunstgewerbeakademie vor 1945
  • Kunstgewerbeakademie Garten
  • Gebäude Pfotenhauerstraße vor 1945
  • Zeichensaal Graph Abteilung
  • 25 Mai 1913 im Bruehlschen Saal
  • plastische Anatomie Foto Max Fischer um 1910
  • Vorgaenger von Lipsiusbau